On October 6, 2020, we introduced the Google Workspace brand, product experience, and set of offerings to better equip our customers for the future of work. Whether you’re at home, at work, or in the classroom, Google Workspace is the best way to create, communicate, and collaborate.
Google Workspace editions
We rolled out new subscription options to give you more choices to fit your needs.
- Business family—For smaller businesses, we introduced tailored offerings that make it easy and cost-effective to get started with Google Workspace—including best-in-class collaboration and productivity tools, security protections, and administrative controls.
- Enterprise family—For larger businesses, we introduced offerings with additional productivity features, enterprise-grade administrative controls, and our most advanced security and compliance capabilities, available at both the team and organization level.
Now’s the time to transition to Google Workspace
If you have a legacy G Suite subscription, we’ll be contacting you with information about your transition to Google Workspace. There are two ways you can transition:
- Self-transition your organization at your convenience (recommended)
- Let Google transition you after your organization is eligible
Transitioning does not affect your Google Workspace data or service availability.
If you prefer to wait, we'll notify you at least 30 days before it’s your turn to automatically transition. Eligibility to automatically transition is on a rolling basis, beginning in November 2021.
When choosing which Google Workspace edition to transition to, we recommend you consider these factors:
- Number of users—Google Workspace Business editions can have up to 300 users. If you have more than 300 users, you'll need to transition to an Enterprise edition. Please contact Google Workspace Sales to identify a transition path that best suits your needs.
- Features you currently use—Make sure you choose an edition that includes the features your organization relies on today.
- Features you’d like to use in the future—Are there features you’d like to add that your organization isn’t using now?
Sign in to compare features
If you're already an administrator for a G Suite or Google Workspace account, sign in now to compare features across available editions: Sign in to your account (doesn't end in gmail.com).
Below are some common questions about transitioning from G Suite to Google Workspace.
GeneralHow does the transition affect my current G Suite subscription?
Your current G Suite subscription and related services will continue to function as they do today, until you self-transition or we transition you automatically to one of the new editions.
We recommend you transition now to a Google Workspace offering that meets your needs. Or, if you prefer, we can transition you automatically when your organization becomes eligible. We’ll notify you at least 30 days before it’s your turn to automatically transition.
If you’re on an Annual/Fixed-Term Plan, your eligibility date to automatically transition will be after your current renewal date.
All G Suite subscriptions must transition to Google Workspace. If you have an active Annual/Fixed-Term Plan, your subscription will remain unchanged until it's time to renew. We recommend you transition as soon as possible to benefit from Google Workspace functionality.
If you choose not to self-transition, we'll transition your organization automatically to a recommended Google Workspace edition when your organization is eligible. The first transitions begin in November 2021, and we'll notify you 30 days in advance with all the details.
We recommend you self-transition to Google Workspace as soon as it’s convenient for you. If you prefer to wait, Google will transition you automatically when your organization is eligible. We’ll be in touch at least 30 days in advance with more information about the timing of your transition.
We'll transition you to a Google Workspace edition that suits your needs, based on the features you're currently using.
For example, if you have G Suite Business and use Google Vault, we'll transition you to Business Plus so you can continue to use that feature. The tables above provide other examples of premium features you might be using and the Google Workspace editions that support them.
Note: It can take a few days for feature changes to register in our systems. If you stop using a feature shortly before your organization is eligible to automatically transition, we may not know about the change before we transition you.
If you’re on an Annual/Fixed-Term Plan, your eligibility to transition depends on your payment plan:
- Fixed-Term Plan with monthly payments—You can self-transition at any time. We’ll automatically transition you to Google Workspace when your contract ends.
- Fixed-Term Plan with yearly payments—For transition details, go to Google Workspace transition for Fixed-Term Yearly Payment Plans.
Yes. We'll transition you to a Google Workspace edition that has the features you're currently using and keeps your data. If you'd like to switch to a different Google Workspace edition, you can switch after the transition.
If you have more than 300 users you can only switch to an Enterprise edition.
You can’t switch to any G Suite subscription.
Yes. You can add more users to your current G Suite subscription until your subscription transitions to Google Workspace.
Yes, you'll need to transition to the Google Workspace Enterprise family. For information, go to Switch Google Workspace editions.
Vault is available with Business Plus, Enterprise Standard, and Enterprise Plus editions.
Some Google Workspace editions include the same capabilities available with add-on subscriptions. For example, Vault is included in Business Plus. If the edition you transition to includes the same functionality, we will cancel the add-on subscriptions when we automatically transition you to Google Workspace.
However, if you have automatic licensing turned off, we will not cancel add-on subscriptions to avoid any data loss. If you do not want a separate add-on subscription, we recommend you assign the add-on user licenses to your core Google Workspace subscription and then cancel the add-on subscription 24 hours after you reassign the licenses.
Yes. We'll automatically transition your G Suite for Nonprofits subscription to a Google Workspace for Nonprofits subscription based on the features you're currently using. For pricing, go to Google Workspace offers for Nonprofits.
Yes. We'll automatically transition your Archived User subscription when we transition your G Suite subscription. We'll transition you to an Archived User subscription that corresponds to your new Google Workspace subscription. For example, if we transition you from G Suite Business to Google Workspace Business Plus, we'll also transition your Archived User subscription to Business Plus - Archived User.
If you prefer to self-transition, you'll need to transition your Archived User subscription at the same time you transition your G Suite subscription. For more details, go to Switch your Archived User edition.